Traveling to another country does sound exciting and fun. You get to explore different places, meet other people, study a different culture, and so much more. You get to experience something new, which is truly something to look forward to.
However, we can’t dismiss the fact that traveling may also mean risk. You might get lost, get into an accident, lose your things, or get sick. This may sound scary, but it’s true. This explains why there are a lot of tips on how you can prevent this from happening.
In this post, we’ll focus on how you can avoid illness and stay healthy throughout your trip.
1. Bring your disinfecting supplies
As the adage goes, prevention is better than cure. Hence, it is advisable to bring your disinfecting supplies with you. This is to protect yourself from getting infected by disease-causing germs and bacteria.
Here are other things that you can carry:
- Airplane seat and tray table cover allow you to disinfect your plane seat and table. That’s because you never know what kind of germs are on those airplane seats and trays. It also lets you ensure that you sitting on a clean seat.
- Face mask kit to protect yourself from droplets in case people around you cough or sneeze.
- Hand sanitizer or alcohol to clean your hands when you don’t have access to clean water and soap.
- Sanitizing wipes is something you can use to clean up the top of tables, chairs, and other hard surfaces.
- Travel blanket, so you don’t have to use those airline blankets.
- A first aid kit that contains bandages, antiseptic wipes, and other medical necessities that you can use in times of emergencies.
- Water purifier to stay hydrated and ensure that the water you’re drinking is always clean and safe.
You can add more to this list, such as a USB humidifier, nasal spray, toothbrush sanitizer, and more you think is essential to carry.
2. Wash your hands regularly
The next thing you should remember is always to wash your hands.
Our hands are probably the dirtiest part of our body, mainly because we touch almost everything with it. And if an object we touch has harmful bacteria, this will go to our hands and immediately inside us if we’re not careful.
Like we were always reminded when we were kids, it is crucial to wash your hands before eating or treating your wounds. You should do the same after you use the bathroom or throw the garbage.
In other words, wash your hands after doing things where you could have come in contact with germs. If you don’t have access to soap and water, make sure you carry a hand sanitizer or alcohol all the time.
3. Use public bathroom the right way
It’s common not to trust using public restrooms. But what can you do if you need to go? Well, you just have to find ways to limit your exposure to possible harmful bacteria.
Start by choosing your stall wisely. Opt for the end stalls, as these are used less often. If you’re worried about the toilet seat, you can clean it out first with sanitizing wipes before sitting down. Finally, always wash and dry your hands after using the toilet. And whatever happens, don’t touch your face until you do.
4. Stay well hydrated
Water is one of the essentials of traveling, probably more important than food. Remember, you don’t stay in your room when you travel because your very purpose is to explore.
For sure, you’ll be doing lots of walking, so you need to make sure you stay hydrated. That way, you always have enough energy wherever you go.
5. Eat healthy before you go
Like water, eating is essential, too. But this is not only simple eating. You should eat healthy foods, so your body gets the best nutrition it needs to defend itself from harmful elements like bacteria.
If you’re taking vitamin supplements that will help boost your immune system, take them. Your body will need all the help it could get.
6. Stay in clean accommodation
Last but not least, stay in clean accommodations. Remember how you often see blog articles on social media sites about horror guest experience? Well, if you’re not careful about the accommodations you choose, then you might experience that too.
According to the people at Maid Sailors Maid Service Chicago, you can prevent that from happening by researching.
Whether you are staying in a hotel, transient house, or an Airbnb listing, don’t forget to check the customer reviews. This can give you an insight into the service excellence and cleanliness that your accommodation can provide.
While traveling can be exciting, you should also know that keeping yourself healthy is imperative. How would you enjoy your trip if you’re sick, right? So, pack up all your essentials and remember these six useful tips to avoid illness when traveling abroad.